What sets Huma apart?
- Ground Chia Seeds: Fiber content modulates carbohydrate absorption = no energy spike + steady release of energy & ideal amount of all 9 essential amino acids in an easily digestible form.
- Sea salt: sodium potassium ratio comparable to major electrolyte formulations
- Citric acid: reduces physiological stress and attenuates physical fatigue
- Cane Sugar and Brown Rice Syrup: Glucose to Fructose ratio increases carbohydrate absorption
- Fruit for flavoring
- Extra water for smooth consistency and less dehydration
Highlights you don’t want to miss:
“The idea for Hüma was born in the sands of Iraq. In the summer of 2009 a US Army soldier named 1st Lieutenant McCollum was charged with leading grueling missions throughout Iraq. At the time he was reading a book about the Tarahumara, a tribe of Mexican Indians who regularly compete in epic 100+ mile races as part of their culture. To fuel themselves on these ultramarathons, they use a special chia seed blend. He figured if it worked for them in Mexico, maybe it would work for him in Iraq.”
Check out the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=101&v=XCXyx2hKOec
What our Nutritionist* Says:
Huma was created based on an ancient Mexican tribe that would fuel themselves for ultramarathons on a blend of chia seeds and fruit. Huma is based on an all natural philosophy which uses real fruit for flavoring, natural sugars (no maltodextrin), and a smooth texture by adding more water than other brands which helps reduce the risk of dehydration.
- 2 different sources of sugar for efficient absorption into the blood stream.
- Ground chia seeds which prevent spikes in blood sugars due to the fiber content. This allows a steady, slower release of energy into the blood stream to prevent ‘hitting the wall’.
- 9 amino acids help the body repair muscles, slow the build-up of lactic acid, repair muscles more efficiently after activity and reduce fatigue.
- Sodium to potassium ratio to replace electrolytes lost in sweat.
Citric Acid to help reduce mental stress and reduce physical fatigue.
What our staff say:
“I enjoy Huma because it is gentle on my stomach. I avoid sugar on a regular basis. This product works the best for me for marathon training. I recommend this product to customers who eat a more natural diet. IT is gluten free and vegan friendly.” – Erin M
“I used Huma gels for Marathon training. They were a great consistency and with the added chia seeds gave me calories needed to continue running.” – Michele K.
Hashtags: #humagel #humabeing
*Emily Bauman, MS, RD, CD went to undergrad at UW-Stout for dietetics where she also ran track and cross country. For grad school and dietetic internship, she went to West Virginia University where she held a graduate assistantship (GA) in which she was responsible for helping build the sports nutrition undergrad curriculum alongside the undergrad program director and WVU’s sports dietitian. This is also where she first started working at a running store, too (Morgantown Running)
Currently, she works at Bellin Health as an inpatient dietitian as well as an outpatient dietitian at the Marinette clinic where she does a wide variety of nutrition counseling and diabetic education.
She enjoys running, swimming, and biking as her main activities, but will also pull out her rollerblades, kayak or stand-up paddleboard occasionally to change it up.
When she is on a long bike ride, she likes to fuel up with GU, Huma, Skratch and alternate with water along the way.
Content also sourced from www.humagel.com