COVID-19 has drastically changed how we do events. We have developed an extensive safety plan that prioritizes social distancing and reduced contact between participants, spectators, volunteers and staff. The City of Oshkosh has approved these measures for the Lumberjack & Jill 10 Mile and the event remains scheduled for Saturday, October 3, 2020. This is mentioned in detail per event area below. You can view the robust safety plan HERE. It will be modified based on the set-up of each Run Away Event.
A participant is defined as someone who has purchased a registration or has had a registration transferred to them and has a race bib. This also includes individuals who may be participating in this event with them while being pushed in a stroller or wheel chair.
- All participants should ask themselves these questions: Run Away Events COVID Screening to screen themselves for COVID-19 before coming to the event. It will also be included in participant packets.
- Participants must take their own temperature before they come and may not attend if they have a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or greater, COVID-19 symptoms, or have knowingly been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 or has had COVID-19 symptoms in the past 14 days. Temperature must be taken without the use of fever-reducing or other symptom-altering medicines.
- Do and Don’t Guidelines for Participants:
- Do wash your hands or use hand sanitizer after using the port-a-john.
- Do not spit or “nose rocket” your nose in public – bring along tissues or a small towel or hanky if you need to get rid of some snot during the race.
- Do practice social distancing – ensure appropriate spacing between runners; the current recommendation is at least six feet of separation.
- Do avoid close-group selfies.
- Don’t share fluids, gels, or other fuel.
Communication & Reminders
- Participants will be informed of safety and new event guidelines in several ways:
- Leading up to the race: Participant e-mails, event website, and social media on Run Away Shoes and Run Away Event Races accounts
- Race Day: On-site announcements, participant e-mails, event website, and social media on Run Away Shoes and Run Away Event Races accounts
A spectator is an individual who is not registered for the event but attends for the purpose of viewing and/or supporting the registered participants
- All spectators should ask themselves these questions: Run Away Events COVID Screening to screen themselves for COVID-19 before coming to the event. These questions are included at the end of this document.
- Spectators are encouraged to take their own temperature before they come and may not attend if they have a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or greater, COVID-19 symptoms, or have knowingly been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 or has had COVID-19 symptoms in the past 14 days.
- Spectators must stay out of the restricted race areas. This includes inside the start & finish line areas, and the post-race food pick-up area. Only participants with a bib will be allowed in these areas.
- Spectators must keep 6’ of distance from other spectators along barricades at the start & finish line areas. There will be markings on the barricades. Other spectators must stay 6’ back from the barricades until a spot opens.
- Spectators are encouraged to find a spot along the course to cheer on the participants while respecting 6’ of social distancing of other spectators not in their household and participants on the course. There is a course map on this webpage.
General Event Info
WHEN: October 3, 2020
10 Mile & Relay Start – 8:00am*, 8:15am*, 8:30am, 8:45am
*The 8:00am and 8:15am wave will be a masks required start. Once out of the starting area, masks may be removed. We still encourage all attendees to wear a mask if they can at the start and again at the finish line of the event in all the waves if they can.
2 Mile Walk – 9:00am (This portion of the event is To Be Determined. If you register for the event and the 2-mile walk cannot take place, you registration will be transferred to the 2021 event)
There will be no more than 150 participants per wave
You will pick your wave during registration. If you registered before COVID-19 and did not pick a wave, you will receive an e-mail from [email protected] to choose your wave.
WHERE: The race will start & finish at Dockside Tavern Food & Spirits:
425 Nebraska St, Oshkosh, WI 54902
COURSE MAP: LJJ Map
PARTICIPANTS WILL RECEIVE:
- Long Sleeve Participant Shirt (see sizing details below)
- Finisher Medal
- Post-Race Food – Boxed To-Go
- Beer or Soda Coupon
- Chip Timing (for 10 mile and relay participants only)
10 Mile Run:
Awards will be given to the overall winner (male and female) along with the top 3 finishers (male and female) in each age group.
Awards will be given to the top 3 teams in the following categories (no age groups):
*There will be no awards distributed at the event. All awards will be available for pick-up at Run Away Shoes.
Proceeds from the event will benefit: The Oshkosh Kids Foundation
Registration Safety Measures
- Registration will be ONLINE ONLY. There will be NO registration available at packet pick-up.
- Registration will close for the event when online registration closes.
“I want to participate in the…”
10 Mile Run
Additional Details for the 10-Mile:
- Sorry, dogs are not allowed on the 10-mile course. If you are interested in participating with your dog, check out the 2-mile walk.
- Considering walking the 10-mile? 18 minutes/mile is the maximum pace. Course closes at 12:00pm.
The course map will be linked here when it becomes available.
How to register as a relay participant:
- On the registration form, choose TEAM
- If you are the first person registering for your team, choose CAPTAIN.
- The captain will choose a team name and password. The captain will also pay for the team.
- Captain, share your team name and password with your teammate!
- On the registration form, choose TEAM
- Then, select ‘Register Teammate’
- Choose your team name from the drop-down and enter the password your captain created.
- Complete the remainder of the form
- Pay your captain back for your portion of the race 🙂
Contact [email protected] if you need help.
Click Here to Register
Fee is for the team.
- 12/25 through 12/31 at 11:59pm – $60
- 1/1 through 2/2 at 11:59pm – $75
- 2/3 through 5/31 at 11:59pm – $85
- 6/1 through 7/31 at 11:59pm – $95
- 8/1 through 9/20 at 11:59pm – $105
- 9/21 through 9/27 at 11:59pm – $115
Additional Details for the 2-Person Relay:
- Sorry, dogs are not allowed on the 10-mile course. If you are interested in participating with your dog, check out the 2-mile walk.
- Q. “Can we walk the relay?” A. 18 minutes/mile is the maximum pace. Course closes at 12:00pm.
2 Mile Walk
Virtual 10 Mile Run
Click Here to Register (make sure you check out the Virtual Run Event Page first before registering to understand all of the details!)
- 12/25 through 2/2 – $30
- 2/3 through 7/31 – $35
- 8/1 – 9/27 – $40
2020 Race Shirt Information
Sample shirts are available to try on at any Run Away Shoes location in Oshkosh, Appleton (Darboy) and Green Bay.
- Limit 5 people in the store at one time.
If you need to change your shirt size, please e-mail [email protected] Sizes cannot be changed once online registration closes and changes are not guaranteed.
T-Shirt exchanges will NOT be available on race day or at packet pick-up. If participants have an issue with the t-shirt size they ordered, they must e-mail [email protected] by the Sunday after the race to coordinate an exchange at Run Away Shoes. Size exchanges are not guaranteed.
I pre-registered and am now able to participate in the event. Can I get a refund?
We are sorry that you can no longer participate in the event. Refunds are not offered at this event for any reason, however, see the transfer option below for selling your registration to someone else.
Can I transfer my registration to a different participant?
Yes, there is a transfer option available. CLICK HERE for the participant self-management tool and choose the “Sell Registration” option.
Use the Participant Self Management link to sell your registration. You will get to choose your refund (i.e. the price you want to sell it at) and then inset the e-mail of the person who you are selling/transferring and they will receive an e-mail to complete it. You will receive an e-mail once they have done that. Please open that e-mail to approve the transfer. Then, in 2-3 business days, you will receive your refund.
Please e-mail [email protected] if the online registration period has ended and you are still interested in a transfer. You will be given instructions for transferring at packet pick-up.
Can I transfer events?
Please e-mail [email protected] to assist in transferring events.
There may be a fee for transferring to a different event.
Transferring and T-Shirts
If a registration is transferred AFTER online registration closes, t-shirt size cannot be changed. The person who the registration is transferred to will receive the t-shirt of the person they are transferring from. Desired size is not guaranteed.
Race Day Information
General Safety Measures
Run Away Events will provide the following amenities to encourage hygiene and social distancing at the events:
- Hand sanitizing stations: outside porta potties, stations near start and finish area, and at the event area entrances and exits
- 6’ spacing markers for social distancing
- Lanes to keep moving in one direction from the finish line to picking up materials and exiting the event.
- Signage to encourage hand sanitizing, social distancing, face covering, and not touching your face.
- Signage to discourage celebratory hand-shakes, hi-fives and hugs
Only essential personnel (participants, staff, volunteers and medical personnel) are permitted in the event area. This includes packet pick-up, start & finish line areas, race course.
Please see the sections regarding specific areas of the race for their individual safety measures.
Staff & Volunteer Safety Measures
All Staff and Volunteers will need to check-in with the Run Away Events appointed COVID-19 Manager prior to starting their shift. This check-in includes:
- Answering a series of questions: Run Away Events COVID Screeningto screen them for COVID-19 before starting their shift. These questions included at the conclusion of this document.
- Staff and Volunteers are must take their own temperature before they come and may not report if they have a temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or greater, COVID-19 symptoms, or have knowingly been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 or has had COVID-19 symptoms in the past 14 days. Temperature must be taken without the use of fever-reducing or other symptom-altering medicines.
- If a staff member or volunteer is not cleared to enter the event area, they will be encouraged to head to a COVID-19 testing site.
- All Race Staff & Volunteers will be:
- Required to wear a mask throughout the duration of the event.
- Provided with and required to use hand sanitizer at least once an hour throughout the duration of the event.
- Instructed and assigned to additional cleaning of frequently touched surfaces for the duration of the event
- Staff and volunteers will have very specific responsibilities to reduce contact with each other and cross-contaminating equipment.
Social Distancing Disclosures
- Social distancing will be a priority between volunteers and staff. We will be adjusting our internal race preparations and race –day preparations to make this accommodation a priority as much as possible. However, please be aware in some situations with set-up, less than the recommended distance of 6’ may be necessary for a brief period of time between staff members.
- Staff & Volunteers will strive to maintain a distance of 6’ from event participants. Because of the nature of the event, there may be times of passing between staff, volunteers, and participants with less than 6’ of the distance between persons.
Exact layout subject to change, but social distancing is always a priority.
2020 Packet Pick-Up Information
LOCATION & TIME
Dockside Tavern Food & Spirits: 425 Nebraska St. Oshkosh, WI 54902
Friday, September 2nd from 12pm – 7pm
We do encourage only one person picking up for households of multiple participants to reduce the number of people at packet pick-up.
Packets will be in alphabetical groups of 125-150 by last name. Hours for packet pick-up will be longer than in the past to help prevent congestion.
There will NOT be packet pick-up the day of the event. Any packets not picked up on Friday will not be at the race.
If you cannot make it to the race but would still like to receive packet materials, e-mail [email protected] by the Sunday following the event. You will be notified when they are available for pick-up at select Run Away Shoes locations. If you are a participant that does not reach out by then, your materials will be donated. Food will not be included in these late pick-ups.
What materials are included with the race?
- Pre-Race at packet pick-up you will receive: Bib, Pins, Materials from Sponsors, Shirt, Race Day Checklist
- Post-Race you will receive: Race Medal, Beverage Coupon, Food Boxed To-Go, Bottled Water
Since beverage coupons will be given, there will be no ID check. ID’s will be checked at the establishment when the coupon is redeemed.
Please wear your race bib on the FRONT and outermost layer of clothing
DO NOT BEND your race bib. The timing chips are on the back.
What To Expect At Packet Pick-Up
- Bib pick-up will take place outside, and under a (40×100 tent).
- Tables will be spaced 6’ apart.
- 6’ distance markings will be on the ground as participants come to pick-up their packet.
- A path will be marked out for entering and exiting to keep social distancing relevant at all times.
- We will be accepting group packet pick-up requests to help reduce the number of people coming to packet pick-up. Participants and e-mail to have the packets of a specific group of people put together to make packet pick-up for multiple people easier. A minimum of 10 people must be included for these requests. These requests must be submitted to [email protected] by the Wednesday of race week.
- There will be a volunteer to keep the number of participants in the tent to a minimum. If it is filling up the volunteer will kindly ask participants to wait.
Details will be listed here once available.
Start & Finish Line
- Only essential staff and participants are permitted behind the start line.
- Participants will start in waves of no more than 150 participants, 15 minutes apart.
- Participants can exit their cars and come to the start 5 minutes before the start of the race. They will report directly to an X on the starting line.
- Participants will choose their wave when they sign up (or via survey if registered before COVID-19 shut-down began).
- Participants must come to their assigned wave. There will be bib colors assigned for each wave.
- Participants will start 6’ apart. There will be marks chalked on the ground.
- Details on reporting to your assigned wave will be laid out in participant instructions per individual event via participant e-mail and posted on the website.
- We strongly encourage a mask or buff be worn as a face covering at the start line of the event, and again at the finish line.
- Participants will be encouraged to continue to move through the finish line area.
- There will be a table with the remaining items for participants (food box, beverage coupon, and medal) inside the tent. Water will be located on tables outside the event.
- There will be no post-race party. All participants will be directed to immediately exit the event once they pick up their materials.
- Participants who complete the event cannot come back in. They may move to a spectator spot along the finish line of the course.
Water & Toilets
- We encourage all participants to bring their own water. If participants are interested in purchasing a handheld water bottle or waste pack, Run Away Shoes if offering a 25% discount on hydration products to race participants.
- There still will be water stops on the course and water at the finish.
- Volunteers will not be passing out water. There will be small sealed water bottles on the table. There will be trash cans along the course. Participants need to discard their water bottle and cap into a trash receptacle and may not toss it on the ground. Participants will be encouraged to keep moving or step away from the water stop quickly to allow others in. We will include markings on the ground for participants who want to stop and drink their water. Water stop tables will be separated for social distancing and there will be multiple available.
Porta potties will be available in the start and finish line areas of the events, and select places along the course (varies per event). Please see individual event notes for specifics. They will be spaced at least 6’ apart, with markers for social distancing.
Participants are encouraged to be mindful of keeping your distance from other participants while they are walking or running unless they are from the same household.
The link to the album from our photographer will be sent out the week after the event in an e-mail to all participants. We will also link it here, and you will be able to view them on the Run Away Event Races Facebook page.
The results will be posted here at the conclusion of the race. Results will not be posted or available at the race.