Every year, run specialty stores across the country gather for The Running Event (TRE) in Austin. It gives us the opportunity to meet other store owners and managers, talk with experts in retail and marketing, and rub noses with the big wigs at the various shoe brands… and escape Wisconsin winter for 75 degree weather, which was glorious. This year, TRE changed the venue to Orlando, so Ross and I decided to head down there for Run Away Shoe’s first trip to this event and see what it was all about. Here’s a few quick takeaways, in order of importance obviously:
- Going south during the Wisconsin winter is GREAT idea. We only got three days, but I 100% would have done seven.
- Simplify, simplify, simplify. You’ll see Run Away Shoes refocusing our apparel selection to make it easier and more convenient for you to find your ideal workout outfit.
- A big question posed was “What else can we do that’s different than big box and serves our customers”? So we’re introducing our Garmin Demo Program. You can rent a Garmin watch from our fleet (35, 235, Fenix 3, Vivoactive HR) for a week to get a feel for it. If you like it, you can apply the rental fee towards your purchase. If you don’t, you can use a different watch for the 2nd Check out our webpage for it here! This will give you a feel for some different watches and lets you try it before you buy it!
- Speaking with our brethren at Naperville Running Company, they got us onto the idea of doing a “buy 3, get 1 free” deal with socks when you purchase shoes. So for 2017, any time you buy shoes, you can get a great deal on socks! Talk to our associates about getting hooked up next time you’re in store.
- If you can run through Epcot before anyone else is there, do it. Amazingly peaceful, and so cool.